Saturday, November 20, 2010

My Fall Quilt Design In Progress


Thank you so much for your thoughtful well wishes
on my wrist sprain.   It's feeling much better
and hopefully it will be back to normal soon.  

I haven't been able to sew for several weeks because
we renovated one of our rentals and then some friends
came to visit for a week.  We had a great time last week
and now I'm ready to get back to sewing.  

My quilt top isn't quite finished yet, but I'm excited to share
it with you anyway.  I love the beautiful colors fall
brings, so that's my inspiration for this quilt.  I'm really
pleased with it so far.  



This project started out as a pieced star from an old UFO
project, but as many of you know I love applique.  
So why not meld the two techniques together?  It 
evolved from week to week, a sort of design as you go
project.  

Aside from that pumpkin on the right, this project is 
my own design.  (I used the adorable pumpkin pattern from
the small quilt in my header.)  I've always wanted to add
words to a quilt and decided this was the one.  

Thanksgiving is the time of year we give thanks.  I'm thankful
for the wonderful blessing I've had this year and I'm thankful for
friends, family and the creative friends I've made here in 
blogland.  I appreciate your thoughtful, kind and supportive 
comments. 





I placed the small blocks on the right side to audition
them for another border.  This quilt is small so I wanted
to make it slightly larger.  Approx. Size 34 X 43 (before)
What do you think?  Another row of blocks on the sides
or all the way around?  I would love to get your feedback.

If I were to write instructions and make up a similar pattern,
would it be something you would consider buying?
It might take me awhile, but I wanted to see if there is
any interest.

Thanks for stopping by and have a beautiful creative day!

13 comments:

Barb said...

Oh...I just love your design, it looks wonderful....I just love applique also.

Sorry I didn't know about your sprain....I am still behind in blogging. Hope all is well.

Yvette said...

WOW! That quilt looks like a magazine cover, it is just beautiful.

I am so glad you wrist is getting better.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Have you thought about borders on 3 sides leaving the bottom as it is?

Allie said...

Oh my gosh you talented thing you - this is just gorgeous! By all means write a pattern. I do like the blocks on the side - you could even get away with just doing one side. This is gorgeous!!!

mfoote said...

And I am thankful for you. Your work is amazingly beautiful. Glad you wrist is better.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving WEEK to you as well.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a *beautiful* quilt as is, and busy enough without the outside blocks as a border. If it were mine, I think I'd try the dark red polka dot fabric as a binding. I think any dark binding would be the finishing touch. So good to hear your doing well, thanks for sharing your thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Kerstin said...

Hi, this Quilt is so cute. I like Jackie's Idea about border on three side and leave the bottom as it is.

Im happy to hear your wrist is doing better.

Ivory Spring said...

That quilt looks absolutely fabulous!!!!!!! I love it.

Carrie P. said...

It is a wonderful design. You are so talented. I think it would be pattern that would sell.
I think a border on the top and the right side would balance it out. Just a thought.

Nat Palaskas said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kim. Enjoy the fall color. I love the quilt - Hugs Nat

Diane H said...

Beautiful quilt, Kim. My thoughts, maybe a 3" border in the dark plum and thin binding in the same fabric. Just to frame the quilt and not take away from the centre. It's a fantastic pattern - great job!

Vintage Sandy said...

Kim, thanks for stopping by today I love your THANKFUL quilt I'm sure whatever you decide to do to finish it it will be beautiful sorry to hear about your wrist and happy to hear it's better stop by anytime.
Hugz